Main MessageBoard / Lolli.org Updates /

1 2 3 4 5
LOLLI
Hey guys,

I know I haven't really been working on lolli code as of late.  One of my goals in 2010 is to really dedicate some time and beef up lolli.org

So here's your chance to write a list to santa lolli about all the changes / abilities you'd like lolli.org to have.   Also, please rank each change from most wanted and so on.

Lolli.org Navigation and Layout
One of the biggest issues new people have on lolli is navigation and layout.  I know the navigation on lolli isn't the best.  You basically have to lurk for a while to figure out how things work.  What changes do you think I should make to make things easier for members?  I don't want to totally become a FB or Myspace clone but I think navigation needs to improve.  FB and Myspace revolve around the person's profile.   I think lolli should revolve more around this.  Maybe start adding news feeds for when someone posts a new mix, a new thread, uploads a new pic, etc.

HO HO HO!

Rich

tst
Nature
Premium Member
Dude you're a genius, you should TOTALLY make this a FB clone, expand it to the whole east coast and then the US and then the WORLD and make millions (if not BILLIONS) of dollars. You can do it!

And then cut me in like 3% for the idea ;)

-CN
PUREVIL
i miss the drop down friends feature on the top toolbar...now you have to like go to your profile and view your friends. it was soooo much easier and quicker before...

LOLLI
Post from PUREVILi miss the drop down friends feature on the top toolbar...now you have to like go to your profile and view your friends. it was soooo much easier and quicker before...

nod nod, noted.  I'm going to put a search textbox up there too.  It will search all members, forums, and threads.

tst
SARA
Post from PUREVILi miss the drop down friends feature on the top toolbar...now you have to like go to your profile and view your friends. it was soooo much easier and quicker before...
Yep, this is what I miss too. I remember when he got rid of it. Everyone said they never used it. I was like.. it was so convenient... especially when you want to message a friend quick.

I'd like to see the SARA "is in a relationship with" LOLLI. I think that would be fun. I know it's work, but you're asking for what we want ;)

IWannaBeTheDj
Friends have to be mutual. Much like facebook you have to allow someone to be your friend. Not just click friend and bam.

SARA
Post from IWannaBeTheDjFriends have to be mutual. Much like facebook you have to allow someone to be your friend. Not just click friend and bam.
I like this idea too. I land on people's pages and I notice that I'm their friend and I have no idea who they are.

NCBST2002
These should also be mutual....like I should have to agree to which boobs I want to see.  Kinda like a "boob request"

doog
Premium Member
Write a mobile site  The links on the left are really hard to click when I'm on my phone.

Random Boob Generator.  Users can upload their own images to the repository or allow linking (user submitted).

I like the idea of a more profile based site.  Also lots of producers upload tracks to the music page, you should let us differentiate between a mix and a single track, maybe even separate the artists into dj/producers.

Also this is really minor but it bugs me.  When posting a message above the text box it says:
Thread:   'thread you're on'<----should be a url

LOLLI
Post from doogWrite a mobile site  The links on the left are really hard to click when I'm on my phone.

Random Boob Generator.  Users can upload their own images to the repository or allow linking (user submitted).

I like the idea of a more profile based site.  Also lots of producers upload tracks to the music page, you should let us differentiate between a mix and a single track, maybe even separate the artists into dj/producers.

Also this is really minor but it bugs me.  When posting a message above the text box it says:
Thread:   'thread you're on'<----should be a url

Good ideas guys.  Yes, I will be writing a mobile site for lolli.  Something simple that will allow you to check your messages, read the messageboard, and lookup event info.

Random Boob Generator - CHECK.

For the mix area, I'll add a drop down to the mix info page.  You'll select either Single or Mix.  I'll then display this info in the mix area.

As for a more profile based site, I think I'm going to make the "HOME" link your profile page.  Then all of the menu links like 'My Messages', 'My Pics', 'My Events', 'My Music', etc, I'm all going to put in your profile.  It will clean up the side menu and allow easier navigation.  Everything will reside from your HOME profile.

tst
PDub
I second/third the drop down friends list... I miss dat...

and I still want a favorite threads type deal. maybe each thread that you click "like" on can be listed separately if you click on My Favorites on the left?

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe."
PUREVIL
mmmmmm a search feature would be pretty dope too!!!!

idk if i care about the mutual friends thing. cause ppl dont always check their lolli too often and it'd be a pain the ass to search thru hoods just to find someone in the event that they havent gotten around to adding you yet. it doesnt really bother me to see me on other ppls lists....

it would be kinda fun to be able to see all the ppls lists im on tho!!! :o)
surely its not many, but still. i know i have forgotten to bookmark ppl that i was friends with 7 years ago who havent forgotten to bookmark me!

RANDOM BOOB GENERATOR! THUMBS WAY UP!

tika
IPHONE APP

thankz

Queen of the Lolli.org Paparazzi // mixes, pics, fun stuff -> kooterkore.com
pablo814
Premium Member
Boob Generator FTW. Maybe add a "Who's rack is that?" game.

I think if this site was gonna go the way facespace, it would have by now. You can do all the stuff that u can on those profiles on here and only a few ppl do(from what I see anyway, Lolli may have some stats on that). This site has always been message board based, and if improvements were to be made it should be to the general layout of the boards. The current layout is functional, and Sara has done a good job jazzing things up a bit, but the general layout has been the same for as long as the site has been up. New decade, new design.

"Honey, I want to do something, we never do anything!" "We are doing something. I'm watching the game and eating a sandwich, and you are making me another sandwich!"
LOLLI
Post from pablo814Boob Generator FTW. Maybe add a "Who's rack is that?" game.

I think if this site was gonna go the way facespace, it would have by now. You can do all the stuff that u can on those profiles on here and only a few ppl do(from what I see anyway, Lolli may have some stats on that). This site has always been message board based, and if improvements were to be made it should be to the general layout of the boards. The current layout is functional, and Sara has done a good job jazzing things up a bit, but the general layout has been the same for as long as the site has been up. New decade, new design.
Are you talking about the layout of the messageboard.  Like how it functions - or are you talking about how pretty it is?

The only real big different my messageboard has is the Main Page.  The Top 30 threads page.  I bet if I removed that and made everyone troll each forum, there would be more posts made for some threads that get lost in the sea of threads.

tst
WEIRDBOT
Premium Member
I feel that I want to see more BACON and CATS!!! LOTS OF CATS! Like there own little domain to the side so it would be like Chat Room, Fun and Games, Cats, Bacon....or combo something ot that effect. Thanks

I fail to see your version.
BOINGTHUMP
Premium Member
Ability to say "I like" or "I dislike" individual posts.

Top posts of the day, week,month,year.
Same w/threads. Once it goes epic there should be a way to say "shits still getting good".

Also ability to as a whole say "This post is shit, you are a fucking moron"

Kind like the 2009 best/worst list. It would be easier if it was just hard coded. And people clicked shit.

Also some things just shouldnt be shared with the general population...or even on a message board...definately not here on Lolli.
incydeout
I'd like a lot more frames, advertisements, and waaaaaay less boobs and bacon. Cats are ok. And maybe you could promote Bussiere threads a little bit more, like by boldfacing his thread titles and marqueeing them across the page so I know which ones to hit first.

Seriously though, a mobile version of the page would be awesome. Maybe a sweet flash interface too? I know that's wishing... and most others wouldn't like it... but I'd get a kick out of it :P

LOLLI
Post from BOINGTHUMPAbility to say "I like" or "I dislike" individual posts.

Top posts of the day, week,month,year.
Same w/threads. Once it goes epic there should be a way to say "shits still getting good".

Also ability to as a whole say "This post is shit, you are a fucking moron"

Kind like the 2009 best/worst list. It would be easier if it was just hard coded. And people clicked shit.
hmm.  It would be a rather large overhead to store every like and dislike of every post for a year.   It would also slow down the loading of a thread page.   For each of the 25 posts listed, a side query would have to be done to look up the number of votes for each of those posts as well as the last two or so voters.  

It's sort of how FB functions but instead of displaying one post and allowing people to like or dislike the post, I'm listing 25 per page.  You can see how that could slow things down.

You can already vote up and down threads.  Maybe I should refine it more?

-- EDIT --

After thinking about this more, how bout if I provided a link in each thread post that says something like "Nominate this Post".  You click the link and you're taken to a page where you pick the category you're nominating the post for.   Then you click Submit and your vote is cast.

Back on the thread page, I can provide an update for the post that simply lists "This post has been nominated for an award".  Anyone else can then see what it's nominated for.  And they can vote on it as well.

tst
BOINGTHUMP
Premium Member
Post from LOLLIhmm.  It would be a rather large overhead to store every like and dislike of every post for a year.   It would also slow down the loading of a thread page.   For each of the 25 posts listed, a side query would have to be done to look up the number of votes for each of those posts as well as the last two or so voters.  

It's sort of how FB functions but instead of displaying one post and allowing people to like or dislike the post, I'm listing 25 per page.  You can see how that could slow things down.

You can already vote up and down threads.  Maybe I should refine it more?

-- EDIT --

After thinking about this more, how bout if I provided a link in each thread post that says something like "Nominate this Post".  You click the link and you're taken to a page where you pick the category you're nominating the post for.   Then you click Submit and your vote is cast.

Back on the thread page, I can provide an update for the post that simply lists "This post has been nominated for an award".  Anyone else can then see what it's nominated for.  And they can vote on it as well.

That sounds like an idea.

Or something that's only polled once a day to update said stats. Either or . Your idea seems easier to do.

Also some things just shouldnt be shared with the general population...or even on a message board...definately not here on Lolli.
pablo814
Premium Member
Post from LOLLIAre you talking about the layout of the messageboard.  Like how it functions - or are you talking about how pretty it is?

The only real big different my messageboard has is the Main Page.  The Top 30 threads page.  I bet if I removed that and made everyone troll each forum, there would be more posts made for some threads that get lost in the sea of threads.
A lil of both really. I lose threads in the manner you described all the time. Something from last week that was WIN gets lost on page 4 of Misc. and minus well have been sent to Purgatory. Appearance-wise just have Sara freshen up the look of things. The general function of the site is fine, it just looks a lil utilitarian. I like the layout of www.talkchelsea.net. It looks good and serves it's purpose.

"Honey, I want to do something, we never do anything!" "We are doing something. I'm watching the game and eating a sandwich, and you are making me another sandwich!"
mitch
How about a FAQ section.  Break up the nav bar on the left further with some labels/headings.  Honestly, I like the design of your site.  Maybe it is because I have grown accustomed to it, but I find it easy to navigate.

Can you do a "share this thread to facebook" type of deal, or is that something that must be worked out with them mutually?

I forget, what was the verdict on actual polls?  I remember it was discussed here a long time ago.

DJ of the month section complete with exclusive mix and top ten picks.

Virtual Reality sex helmets.

Edit:  How about a return to message board button at the bottom of the threads.  Then you don't have to scroll up to do it.  The reasoning being, some thread pages are long, and you end up hitting the back button so the thread is not marked as read.  Remember, the average web user is way to lazy to scroll, as well as read more than 2 lines, think about anything or dive more than 2 pages deep into anything.  They can trollz, but they won't scrollz.  Seriously though, that would be sweet.

Double Edit:  HOLY SHIT!!!  There already is one.  Disregard that last idea.  Wow, life just improved drastically for me.

JodoKaast
I think a blend of a facebook style profile layout + the current message board layout would be pretty cool. While there's already profile pages and such, there's not much to them. An integration of your posts or music posted or status updates or whatever else, into the actual profile pages would do a lot, I think.

As far as message board tweaks, I think the Something Awful forums are the model for my ease of use and looks. For instance, instead of just jumping to the last page of a thread that I've viewed before, I should be able to jump to the last post of that thread since last viewing it. It always kind of confuses me when I've only read 2 pages of what's now a 7 page thread, and I've suddenly missed 5 pages by clicking on the thread. You could do this with cookies, if you didn't want to spend the overhead on database storage.

Also, thread ratings should be somehow displayed on the main forum page. Like a 5-star rating, with 1 to 5 stars displayed based on how good or bad the thread is. I don't know how your rating statistics work, so I don't know the easiest way to display this info.

Those are a few off the top of my head.

Flownominal
Mitch said:
Double Edit:  HOLY SHIT!!!  There already is one.  Disregard that last idea.  Wow, life just improved drastically for me.

lol, now that was rofl.

The real solution is throwing smaller more music focused genre specific shows that would and could create a culture of music lovers as opposed to a bunch wanna be rave famous drug addicts.
CubanB
I'd love to see this site be more dedicated to organizing people with their part in the scene.

Promoter/production company grouping.  Like Gangs but only with more private and public aspects like how facebook works.  Users can be fans of groups and interact with them but members of the groups can speak privately within them.  

DJ pages being linked closer to the user account and then also to the production pages.   Flier history and such being archived somehow and easily accessible/organized.  Just a ton of stuff in that direction would really be rad and we could use it.

This could be a really cool DJ/Promoter site at the same time as being a message board.

Maybe even a wanted section for people who need help with sound or DJs.   Or a way to find people who would be interested in helping with decor and such.

I don't know, shit along those lines.    I love the troll/bullshit aspect of message boards but I think it would be cool to have a nice site made to help streamline the progression of working together.  

Also ways to keep things all together but separate them in some manner so that people from other cities could use the site too.   Kind of make it a whole east coast networking site for electronic music.  Make it more professional like.

"wanna get involved?  Come to lolli"  

I hate to say it but even changing the name might be a smart idea.

1 2 3 4 5

Main MessageBoard / Lolli.org Updates /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout